My Family

"Life will knock you down. You can choose to stand up again."




Wednesday, May 13, 2015

One Year

One year ago today, we moved as a family of seven to West Point. At 5 pm, we rushed back to Sandy and got married, then headed to Chick-Fil-A to eat dinner. After that, we all went to our new home and went to bed. I remember telling my bishop that we would like to hold the ceremony to five minutes. He promised he'd do it in less than that. He kept his promise. Last night, Josh and Colton and I were sitting in the family room. I told Colton that today was our one year anniversary. Colton asked why. I explained that it had been one year since we got married. He said, "But Dad has been our dad for four years!" In his mind, it's a four year anniversary because that's when Dad became HIS. And, that's just fine. Separately and very randomly, Braxton and Kaydon came upstairs last night and told me how much they love Dad. It made me cry tears of extreme gratitude.
This life has not been easy. Moving, new schools, new jobs, health issues, financial struggles every day, struggles with raising children, missing Brooklyn when we don't have her... the list goes on and on. But everyday there is joy. Everyday I look at my husband and feel intense love and gratitude for him. I watch him with his five kids and I smile. I adore him. I love him. He is our rock. He is our pillar. He works oh, so hard. He is a tough dad because he loves his kids. He expects them to do their best every single day. He supports me. He never, ever puts me down. He helps me in my church calling, he helps me with chores, he shares all responsibilities with me.

I woke up to a painted canvas this morning, telling me that his wish came true when he found me. I can assure him that it wasn't his wish that came true, but mine. I pray for eternity with him. I pray that our struggles will become our strengths. I pray that we will be old people, sitting in our wooden swing watching baseball. I pray that I will be a better wife today than I was yesterday. I love you, Yoshua.

No comments:

Post a Comment