My Family

"Life will knock you down. You can choose to stand up again."




Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Boy Talk

With the boys getting older and our busy schedules, it is harder and harder - or maybe easier and easier - to find time to talk to them... to really talk to them. Braxton and I talk a lot while we are running - well actually after the run while we are walking. Last night, our run was to the church so that he could go in and get his Temple recommend renewed. While he was in the church, I finished the mile and a half that we started together. When he came out, we walked and talked. He asked questions about the questions that are asked. We talked about it and about the importance of being able to say "yes" and "no" to the appropriate questions.

When we got home, I went upstairs where Jackson was sitting in the game room - not playing a game, just sitting there. I asked him if he wanted to go to school for the last two days. He opened up and started talking about everything from Junior High to Colton to Kaydon to prayer to popularity to the stressful life he has had so far to Seminary to summer. I just sat and listened for about an hour and a half. I was so grateful for that time with him. I am so grateful that these sweet boys are willing to talk to us!


On Monday, after Family Home Evening Kaydon gave the prayer. He had just finished laughing and continued laughing through the prayer. When he was done, Josh had him do it again. Then, Jackson began talking. Jackson explained to Kaydon that he needs to be reverent and that he has no idea how prayer is going to become his best friend. Everyone just sat there quietly. When he was done talking, he went downstairs and Braxton and I left to run. As I was leaving, I heard Josh say to Kaydon, "You know, KK. Everything that Jackson just said is true. Now go downstairs and apology to him for taking away the Spirit and thank him for loving you."

Again, I am so grateful for the opportunities that we have to be parents and to learn from these kids. They are warriors and I could not be more proud of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment