My Family

"Life will knock you down. You can choose to stand up again."




Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Do You Feel Cute?

I've had some neat opportunities while working retail. I've been asked to be a fashion consultant on a few occasions, which is a little bit hilarious because I HATE shopping. I pretty much look in my closet and think to myself, "What is most like pajamas that I can get away with for my 18 hour day?"

Last week, I was cleaning out the Juniors fitting room (which is always fascinating). There was a teenage girl trying on clothes. Her mom and her brother were there with her and they were saying things like, "You look like a boy." "You look like a dude." "Why do you want to look like a dude?" "That is not flattering." I quietly turned around to look at the teenage girl, who had her back to me. The mom caught a glimpse of my catching a glimpse at her. Her mom quickly said, "Turn around so that lady can look at you." The girl turned around. The mom said, "Doesn't she look like a guy?!" I could tell the mom was just itching for me to say, "YUP! She sure does look like a dude!" When, instead, I asked the teenage girl, "Do you feel cute?" The girl nodded her head "yes." I said, "Done!" Then, I walked away. The brother yelled, "Don't you think she looks like a dude?" I turned around and said, "If she is dressed modest and SHE feels cute, then nothing else matters." Then I continued to walk away.


As I spent the rest of the night cleaning, organizing, folding, answering questions, cleaning, organizing, folding... you get the picture, I thought about that conversation. Was I living what I had just said? If I felt cute, and if I felt modest, was that good enough? Or, was I still clamoring for acceptance? Sometimes, I think I am still waiting for someone to tell me that the way I look is good enough. But, why does it matter?

When I was looking for the picture in this post, I found another one. I've heard it before, but it hit me hard today. It says something to the effect of if we, in our homes, give our children enough self-esteem that when they go out in the world nothing can poke a hole in that, we have done our job. It's so true! I hope that my kids know that they matter, no matter what the world says. And, I hope they always know that I am in their corner. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment